515 N. First St. - Peotone, IL
Phone: 708-258-3436
Fax: 708-258-9796


  • slider-building
  • LFL
  • slider-bookshelves
  • Valentines
  • FriendsMtgFeb2016
  • Database Chiltons
  • PPLD
  • Zinio
  • Budget2016

  • Welcome to the Peotone Library
  • Peotone School Textbooks!

History of the Peotone Library

Text Size:

The Library was originally started by the Peotone Senior Woman's Club, with the cooperation of the Junior Woman's Club on Jan. 26, 1934. They started with a little over $100. Each member was asked to donate one volume and before long they had over 200 books.

The first library began in what was the Citizens' State Bank. The bank was located on Main St. on the south west corner by the railroad tracks. From there the library moved to Fedde's Furniture Store on February 1, 1937. That same year, on April 6, it became a tax-supported library. Prior to that the Woman's Club supported the library, with volunteers from the two clubs alternating in taking care of it. The first librarians hired were Mrs. Orville Ahlborn, Miss Gail Ahlborn, and Mrs. Walter Koch.

In August of 1941 the library moved to the fireman's building. Mrs. Kenneth Hauert became librarian, serving from October 1943 to October 1952. She was followed by Mrs. Nathan Dowell. Mrs. Augusta Conrad became the librarian in 1966 and the next year the library moved to the Peotone Township Hall. The next home for the library was the Evangelical United Brethren Church building on the corner of North and West St. The library moved into the building in March 1975 after the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged to become the United Methodist Church. In December of 1989, Cynthia Cooper became the next Library Director until June 2013. The final move for the library was to 515 N. First St. It used to be Bennett Industries office building before the library purchased it in 2004. The library opened its doors on June 6, 2005. In June of 2013, Noreen Bormet became our current Library Director.

The library joined the Burr Oak Library System in 1966, as one of its original members. Burr Oak became Heritage Trail Library System in 1993 when the Burr Oak and Starved Rock Library Systems merged. Library systems were established and organized in 1967 under the authority of the Illinois Library System Act. The Heritage Trail Library System then merged in 2004 with Rolling Prairie Library System and Northern Illinois Library System to become Prairie Area Library System.

The change to a District Library was accomplished on Aug, 18, 1974, in a successful referendum. The District then covered all of Peotone, Green Garden, and Wilton Township, and two-thirds of Will Township.

Monee became part of Peotone Public Library District on April 4, 1995.

Library Hours

Monday - Thursday
9:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.

9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Closed on Sunday

Upcoming Events

Friends of the Library 11:00am
Feb 08 2016 11:00 am
Outside Program - Gamers - 4:30-6pm
Feb 08 2016 4:30 pm
Family Bingo Night! 5pm
Feb 09 2016 12:00 am
Preschool Storytime 10:30am - 11:30am
Feb 09 2016 10:30 am
Open Studio 11am - 7pm
Feb 09 2016 11:00 am

New Arrivals

  • ashleybell
    Book 1
  • MaggieSmith
    Book 2
  • makeemlaugh
    Book 3
  • dinnerfortwo
    Book 4
  • thomasjefferson
    Book 5
  • FinancialAdvisor
    Book 6
  • GuestRoom
    Book 7
  • FloodGrils
    Book 8
  • ForeignEclairs
    Book 9
  • SpringMoss
    Book 10
  • MargaretThatcher
    Book 11
  • Chicago
    Book 12
  • Everest
    DVD 1
  • Heist
    DVD 2
  • Transporter Refueled 2015
    DVD 3
  • Pan
    DVD 4
  • WalkintheWoods
    DVD 5
  • Jurassicworld
    DVD 6
  • Minions
    DVD 7
  • PawnSacrifice
    DVD 8
  • Downton6
    DVD 9
  • antman
    DVD 10
  • MazeRunnerScorch
    DVD 11