PEOTONE LIBRARY MEETING ROOM POLICY
PURPOSE STATEMENT: The Public Meeting Room and the Board Room (called Meeting Rooms hereafter) will be used first and foremost for Peotone Library programs and Peotone Library needs. Subject to this Public Meeting Room Policy and to the library general rules and regulations, non-profit community groups and associations and/or governmental entities may submit applications to reserve the Meeting Rooms in accordance with the provisions of this policy, which may be amended by the Library Board from time to time. Meetings shall be open to the public and library staff.
- Priorities for the use of the Meeting Rooms (in order of preference)
- The Library’s own programs.
- A program in which the Library is a sponsor, participant, or cooperating sponsor.
- Programs which are sponsored by local non-profit organizations.
- Occasional use by nonprofit community groups, organizations or governmental bodies on a first come first served basis.
- Restrictions on the use of Meeting Rooms:
The Meeting Rooms may not be used for:
- Programs involving the sale, advertising, or promotion of products or services. However at the Library Director’s sole discretion, training or information programs by recognized local nonprofit community service agencies will be permitted.
- Fund raising other than by organizations raising funds for the library.
- Profit making meetings or programs.
- Groups or associations wishing to charge an entrance fee or donation at the door.
- Groups that meet more than once a month with the exception of the library’s own programs.
- Any illegal activity or uses which advocate or incite illegal activities.
- Programs that may create a public safety hazard or disrupt the quiet use and enjoyment of the library by members of the general public. No loud music or other sounds which are audible in other parts of the library will be permitted.
- Meeting Room(s) may not be used for social gatherings such as, but not limited to showers, birthday parties, dances, etc.
- Fees, Deposits and Refund Procedures:
- Fees will not be charged for the use of the Meeting Rooms; however, donations will be accepted from any organization.
- A $25 refundable deposit is required for use of either meeting room.
- The deposit in the form of a check made payable to Peotone Public Library must be paid at the time of the Meeting Room reservation. The deposit check will be mailed back to the organization providing the room is found in the original condition and the library is vacated by closing.
- Groups that use the Meeting Rooms on a monthly basis will pay one deposit which will be held until the group stops using the room or the check expires, whichever comes first. If the deposit is forfeited, the group will need to pay another deposit.
- If a deposit is not refunded due to damage or staying beyond closing, a group may be prohibited from further use or will pay another deposit for future use.
- Guidelines and General information about use of Meeting Rooms.
- The library cannot provide storage space for any group’s equipment with the exception of the Peotone Woman’s Club. In recognition of the unique relationship of the Peotone Woman’s Club with the library since 1934 and the club’s ongoing support of library programs, the library will house the club’s files and display two (2) certificates and two (2) plaques currently held by the library.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for materials belonging to the organization/individual(s) or liability for loss or damages. Personal insurance is suggested for valuable property brought into the library.
- Groups of children under the age of 18 must have adult supervision in the meeting room at all times.
- Childcare is not provided by the library staff in any area of the library. All children of attendees must be supervised and follow accepted rules of library courtesy.
- No kitchen facilities are available for use by groups and eating and drinking are prohibited in the Meeting Rooms, except for Library sponsored events.
- Alcohol, tobacco and illegal substances are prohibited on library premises.
- The Peotone Library shall not be used as a headquarters or mailing address for any group.
- No activity in the Meeting Rooms shall overflow into other areas of the library.
- No group shall be allowed access to the library for any activity outside normal library hours.
- Library staff will not accept/communicate phone calls, pages, etc unless there is a genuine emergency.
- It is expected that all meetings/programs will be completed 30 minutes prior to closing and that clean up will be completed by closing. All participants will vacate the library by closing. All groups are asked to plan accordingly. The deposit of $25 may be forfeited if participants do not vacate the building by closing. This forfeiture will apply to any part of an hour after closing.
- Booking Procedure:
- The Meeting Rooms must be reserved in person by turning in a completed application at the library.
- Applications are available at the front desk of the library or may be downloaded from the library website, www.peotone.lib.il.us.
- Persons filling out an application for a group must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applications will not be accepted more than two months prior to the event. However, groups are encouraged to apply at least two weeks prior to the event to ensure availability.
- The Peotone Library reserves the right to review accept or reject any application as per the dictates of this policy.
- All applicants will be given a copy of this Meeting Room Policy and will sign a statement indicating they are familiar with the expectations of the Peotone Library and its Board.
- Organization applicants are responsible to make all participants aware of the expectations of the Peotone Public Library and its Board.
- Available Rooms and Equipment:
- One small Board Room which contains a conference table and 12 chairs.
- One Public Meeting Room with the capacity to seat up to 47 people and which contains one lectern. There are 47 chairs and 8 folding tables available for use.
- Meeting Room set-up:
- All groups shall be responsible for the set up of the Meeting Rooms during regular library operating hours.
- Any additional equipment or furnishings brought into the library must be approved in advance by the Library Director.
- Furniture from other areas of the library may not be moved into the Meeting Rooms.
- Meeting Room clean-up:
- Rooms should be left in the same condition in which they were found.
- Nothing is to be attached to the walls in any manner.
- Projects requiring paint, glue, glitter or other materials that may damage the Meeting Room or any library property in them are prohibited. An exception may be made to this prohibition on a case-by-case basis, subject to the sole discretion of the Director.
- Clean-up must be completed by the group by closing time on the day of the meeting.
- Should the library incur any expense for clean-up or repair to property that exceeds the deposit of $25, an additional fee may be assessed.
- Promotions and Publicity:
Use of the Peotone Public Library’s Meeting Rooms does not constitute Library endorsement of viewpoints expressed by participants in the program. Advertisements or announcements implying such endorsements are not permitted. The following statement is to be placed on all publicity that is distributed for programs booked in the Meeting Rooms: “This program is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Peotone Public Library. The Library is not responsible for the information presented in this program.”
Meeting Room Application